A Quick Resource Guide
Losing a job can disrupt lives and ripple in harmful ways through the economy. That is why public policies that provide support to jobless workers are so essential.
- To apply for unemployment Insurance, visit the Division of Employment Security online here.
- To find out more about support programs available during COVID-19, visit the COVID-19 Information Hub.
- To find out about health care coverage options, check out the NC Navigator Consortium.
- In need of food assistance?
- If you meet the requirements, you may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as “Food Stamps.” To find a Department of Social Services (DSS) office in your county where you can apply, go to the DSS directory here.
- You may be able to get assistance from a food pantry. See these links to find the one closest to you:
- If in need of other types of assistance, visit DSS online for help with housing and utility bills, energy assistance, and Work First.
- For more information on supports and services, utilize NC 211 by visiting the United Way of North Carolina online or dialing 211. 2-1-1 is for finding community health and human service resources. Dial 2-1-1 any time, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to talk to a referral specialist who will help you find vital services in your community. This service is free, confidential and multilingual.
- If in need of legal resources, contact the Legal Aid of NC.